Monday, August 6, 2012

Back to School

Wow!!!  What an honor it was to be asked to be a Guest Designer for Exploring Cricut......  I was thrilled!!!

Since school will be starting back up here in just a couple of weeks, if not days.  I wanted to work on a backpack.  So instead of doing the standard card, I choose to make a 3D backpack that can be filled with bite size treats.  But, before I begin to tell you how I made it,  you will need to get out your gypsy and your cricut cartridge "Campin' Critter". 



This is for front of the backpack.


This is the side view of the backpack.


Finally, this is what the backpack looks like from the rear. 

Now, let's begin with how I made this beautiful backpack.  On page 69 of the manual, I cut the <backpack> at 9" hiding the straps in a chevron pattern paper.  Shift/Layer 1 was also cut 9" in the a hot pink cardstock.  Layer 2, which is the flap was also cut a 9" in the same hot pink cardstock.  For any assembling issues that you may have, please refer to pages 73 & 74 of the manual.

However before I started assembling, I needed to add some silver eyelets for the straps.  Here is a closer look.

 

I then strung some "Amethyst" ribbon size 3/8" through the eyelets to make the straps and glued the ends to the inside of the backpack.  From here, I attached the front flap and added small black eyelets. 



 I threaded some Bolo Cord Black (Hobby Lobby) to make the handle that can be used instead of the straps.  Because this cord was so thick I hot glued it inside the flap.



I assembled the pocket and used Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive to glue to the sides.  Finished them up by gluing a hot pink rhinestone to each pocket.  Next time, I think I will use some velcro so the pockets can be opened and closed while being filled with a very small goody.  Like a little note.......




Finally to help give the front some spunk.  I got out Say It In Pearls (Hobby Lobby) Swirls Black and adhered a small section to the front.  Got out Recollections (Michael's) purple flowers and small black brad (Joann's) and along with a large rectangle rhinestone and glued everything to the front.

I surely hope I've inspired several of you to give this cricut cartridge a try.  I know I will be using it again......

Thank you again Diane with Exploring Cricut for allowing me to share my talent with everyone!!!  Don't forget to stop by their website and let them know that I've sent you to them.  Who knows, you might just be their next Guest Designer........ 

Have a wonderful Monday!!!

Shawn



A few challenges that I will be entering this backpack into:

Die Cuttin' Divas - Anything Goes
Party Time Tuesdays - Anything Goes
DL Art - Happy Birthday

8 comments:

  1. Shawn thanks for joining us at Exploring Cricut. I love this backpack. I have seen this cut and have not been brave enough to try it yet. ;) I love the colors. Better not show my daughter or she will have me making her 2! LOL! :) Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project is so adorable and I am so glad you joined us today at Exploring Cricut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!!! I so love your backpack. Great idea to use ribbon for the straps and love the bolo cord for the top handle. The colors are fantastic. Thank you so very much for being our Guest Designer at Exploring Cricut!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable. Love this backpack, great colors you use. Thanks for joining us at DCD this week!
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great joband o so pretty! Love the crystals. Thanks for being a Guest Designer today:)
    Annette
    My Mind's Dust Bunnies

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun backpack! Love this. Thanks for joining us over at DCD.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shawn Congratulations on your GD spot. Your purple back back is adorable. Great job.
    DIANA L
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ps. Thank your for joining my DL.ART Happy Birthday Linky party

    ReplyDelete